Sunday, April 3, 2011

I wanted to learn Urdu ! :C

I have always been interested in learning Indian languages that's why I decided to visit this webpage: http://www.languageshome.com/English-Urdu.htm
Through this site I had the opportunity to learn some expressions from the Urdu Language. 

Actually, I would say that I expected more than some useful expressions. I was wondering if I go to India that list  would be enough to communicate myself with indian people. I hope this could work, but I don't think so, because I would probably learn those phrases by heart and nothing else would happen, I  mean, I believe that after learning those expressions I won't be prepared to face real situations in India. Another thing is that those phrases are written with our alphabet, but I'm sure they have another different and I won't be able to read anything. Moreover, I have no idea how should I pronounce those words, so even if I learnt them by heart it would be difficult for them to understand me. 

I don't think grammar - translation method could help me if I go to India for the first time and I need to talk naturally with my neighbours. Those expressions that are offered by the website are very basic to have a conversation with natives. Perhaps there are some words that are difficult to explain in the same language (Urdu) and for those it would be necessary to translate them. However, we cannot focus all the learning process in just one method, I think that to learn grammar it is important but we cannot forget that the language is always inside a context and we should avoid teaching in isolation. In my opinion, we need more than those utterances if we want to speak fluently with Urdu speakers.

Now, I'm sure that I need another website to learn Urdu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment